How can I start a Girls on the Run of Atlanta program?
Step 1: Read Through Site Start-up Packet
The program location is responsible for providing:
- A Site Coordinator: a contact person at the site to coordinate with GOTR Atlanta. This person can be a site employee or a parent.
- A safe place for running. Note: This does not have to be a track, a field is acceptable. However, it is necessary to measure off part of that area on occasions when lessons require running at certain distances, (e.g. 1 mile, 3k). Girls on the Run provides general liability insurance for all of our program locations.
- A rain site (designated space indoors for team to meet; a gym, covered outdoor area, hallway, etc.)
- Volunteer Coaches: at least three coaches to be trained by GOTR. We provide the training, curriculum materials, background checks and CPR/First Aid certification for all coaches.
- Confirm Availability: Our programs are 90 minute sessions, twice a week for 12 weeks. Locations need to confirm that space is available to host the program twice a week. We offer a fall and spring program (see Program Calendar)
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of girls throughout Metro Atlanta
Step 2: Complete a Site Application
- Contact Us for a site application
- Application Deadline: July 1st for the Fall Season, and December 1st for the Spring Season
- Please Note: Girls on the Run of Atlanta is currently authorized to offer programs in 4 counties within greater Atlanta: Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, and Gwinnett. If you are interested in starting a site outside our jurisdiction please contact our national office, www.girlsontherun.org for more information.
- Complete the site application and return to our Program Director by the deadline. Title I schools interested in applying to be a full-scholarship program site will be required to submit additional documentation. Full-scholarship spots are limited.
- Set up a site visit for a staff member to come out and visit the new program location.
Step 3: Start the Coach Application Process
- Complete the Volunteer Application on Active.com (all coaches need to follow the steps in the coach application process).
- Once we receive your completed application we will contact you to arrange an interview
Step 4: Follow-Up
- Upon receiving your application, our Program Director will review the application and be in touch to work out the final details.
- Please note: that all applications are subject to prior approval. A submitted application does not guarantee the program will be offered. GOTR of Atlanta is rapidly expanding and we are doing our best to accommodate as many new site requests as possible. Unfortunately, it may not be feasible to start a site, due to funding and staff limitations.
Contact our Program Director with any questions or for more information.